HERRIMAN, Utah, March 10, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — Multiple Unified Fire Authority units were dispatched to a fire at a Popeye’s restaurant late Saturday night.
UFA Battalion Chief Riley Pilgrim told Gephardt Daily the call came in at 11:45 p.m., after a “sharp-eyed police officer” observed smoke coming from the roof vent of the building, at 5118 W. 13400 South, after the business was closed for the night.
Pilgrim said when crews arrived, they found a grease fire in the kitchen.
“It looked like it involved cooking equipment that maintained its heat and started the fire in a grease trap,” he said.
The business’s interior fire suppression system did its job and prevented the flames from spreading.
Within 20 minutes of arriving, crews knew the fire was completely contained and were cleaning up and ventilating the building.
Pilgrim said there was “no significant damage” and only minor smoke damage. He said the owners may spend part of Sunday cleaning up.
From the police officer spotting the smoke and calling it in, to the fire suppression system working as it should, Pilgrim said, “It’s an example of things going right.”