Update: Cause of Washington Terrace house fire revealed

Fire crews responded to a house fire near 4600 South and 475 West in Washington Terrace on Friday night, Aug. 9, 2019. Photo: Gephardt Daily/Nancy Van Valkenburg

WASHINGTON TERRACE, Utah, Aug. 10, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — The cause of a Friday night residential fire in Washington Terrace has been determined.

The Ogden Fire Department released a statement in the case:

“The cause of the fire has been determined as an improper use of extension cords,” the news release says.

“Please remember to not overload any electrical circuit.  Extension cords are for temporary use only and should never be used when coiled or knotted, or not in fully extended position.”

Fire Chief Clayton Peterson told Gephardt Daily that no one was injured in the fire, near 4600 South and 475 West.

“Seven family members, including extended family, got out safely, and so did the pets — a cat and kittens,” Peterson said.

Other Stories of Interest:
Crews knock down 2-alarm fire in the Avenues in Salt Lake City

He said damage to the home was relatively minor.

“There was water damage downstairs in a family room and smoke damage throughout the house.”

The Red Cross was contacted to assist the family with temporary accommodations until the house is habitable again.

Ogden fire

An early morning fire in Ogden on Friday also was sparked by a misused extension cord, a statement released earlier said. That residence, at 2950 S. 1400 South, is near the intersection of Darling Street and Polk Avenue. The call came in at 5:10 a.m.

The occupant in the Ogden case was not home, the OPD statement says. The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damages and killed three of the four dogs living in the residence.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here