18-year-old shot, officer injured in second night of Milwaukee protests

A Milwaukee police officer was one of two people injured Sunday after a rock hit the windshield of a police cruiser. Photo courtesy the Milwaukee Police Department

MILWAUKEE, Aug. 15 (UPI) — At least two people were injured Sunday in the second night of violent protests in Milwaukee over the fatal police shooting of an armed black man, police said early Monday.

An 18-year-old man was shot and a police officer was injured from a rock crashing through his windshield. Both were taken to a local hospital, Milwaukee police said. A car was also burned.

Police responded in riot gear about 11 p.m. to break up a crowd after protesters allegedly began throwing objects. About an hour later, police had arrested several protesters after they refused to leave the area. Police said things had quieted down by 1 a.m. It is not known how many arrests were made.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker proclaimed a state of emergency and activated the National Guard in Milwaukee, and he and other leaders called for calm after police fatally shot a 23-year-old Sylville Smith who was allegedly armed and fled from a traffic stop. At least 200 angry protesters gathered after the shooting to demand justice for the man. Demonstrators damaged at least two police cars and several businesses including a gas station and an auto parts store.

Walker also pointed out in his statement, Wisconsin “is the first state in the nation to have a law requiring an independent investigation anytime there is a shooting by a law enforcement officer that leads to a death.”

Sunday night’s violence happened despite Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett ordering a strong police presence in the community, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

“Our police officers are doing everything they can to restore order,” Barrett said Sunday, calling for the entire city needs to help restore peace.

“If you love your son, if you love your daughter, text them, call them, pull them by their ears, get them home,” Barrett said.

At least 200 people were involved in the disturbances Saturday and three were arrested, Assistant Police Chief James Harpole said. He said numerous gunshots could be heard during the hours of unrest.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here