Explosion in cafeteria in Spain injures dozens

A butane gas fire injured 90 in Veleze-Malaga, Spain Saturday. Officials say the quick response of one of the chefs in the La Bohemia cafeteria where the explosion took place likely thwarted further and more severe injuries. Map from My Google Maps

MADRID, Oct. 2 (UPI) — At least 90 people are confirmed injured after a suspected gas leak that may have caused an explosion Saturday night in a cafeteria in southern Spain.

Five people were seriously injured and taken to a hospital in Velez-Malaga and in the city of Malaga. None of the injuries are believed to be life threatening, xinhuanet.com reported.

Some 57 people were taken to the hospital Comarcal de la Axarquia and the remainder received treatment in local health centers.

The explosion was apparently caused by a leak from a butane gas bottle in the cafeteria’s kitchen where a celebration of the local Fiesta de San Miguel was taking place.

Photographs taken at the scene show severe damage to the La Bohemia cafe, BBC reported. Debris is seen strewn along the street.

The chef had reportedly sounded the alarm just moments before the blast occurred at about 6:45 p.m. local time, which may have led to fewer serious injuries.

Emergency crews arrived quickly on the scene where two local police who were at the cafe at the moment of the explosion, worked with firefighters to ensure that no more gas bottles exploded.

Local Mayor Antonio Moreno thanked emergency personnel for their rapid response, as well as the many people who helped the injured.

Authorities have not confirmed that a gas leak caused the explosion but said a leak may have caused glass on the cafe’s windows and doors to explode.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here