Maine Man Who Used Facebook to Lure Teen to Her Death Gets 60 Years
BANGOR, Maine, May 11 (UPI) — A 22-year-old Maine man was sentenced to 60 years in prison for the 2013 murder of a 15-year-old girl.
Kyle Dube, of Orono, was found guilty last March of kidnapping and murdering Nichole Cable, a high school sophomore from Glenburn, Maine.
Prosecutors said Dube used a fake Facebook profile to make contact with Cable and lure her from her home on May 12, 2013. She died from asphyxiation in what police said was an abduction that turned into an unplanned murder.
Cable’s body was found in the woods eight days later.
Dube’s defense team argued during the trial that other people could have used his computer to create the fake Facebook account. After Dube was found guilty, the defense asked for a 45-year sentence so he could have “some degree of hope at 60 to interact with society.”
Dube was also sentenced to 30 years on the kidnapping charge, which he will serve concurrently with his 60-year murder sentence.
Assistant Attorney General Leane Zainea said prosecutors were pleased with the judge’s decision Friday.
“Obviously, we had been seeking consecutive sentences, but nonetheless, the 60-year sentence really addressed the violent nature of the crime that the defendant engaged in, as well as a lack of remorse,” Zainea told WABI.
Cable’s mother, Kristine Wiley, told reporters that she had hoped Dube would show more remorse.
“I need him to tell me and own up to what he did,” Wiley said. “Stop putting the blame on someone else. Stop putting the blame on somebody else. Take the responsibility man up. Tell me. Man up.”
“I need to know what her last words were. Was she screaming for me? Was she screaming for her dad? I need to know what happened,” Wiley said.