PROVO, Utah, Jan. 11, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — Marie Osmond said she’d be willing to perform for Donald Trump’s inauguration, but later clarified, saying she had not been formally asked and would be unavailable anyway, since she was planning a family vacation.
Osmond, 57, made the comments in an interview with Yahoo Finance.
“I think when it comes to our country, we need to unite,” Osmond said. “I think we should all support our president, whether we’re happy or sad. This is America.”
Osmond and her brother Donny have performed at a number of inaugurations, including Ronald Reagan’s in 1981. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir also performed that year.
“We should come together, and I think an inauguration should be a time to unite. It really should,” Osmond told Yahoo.
A number of entertainment A-listers have turned down invitations to perform at the Jan. 20 ceremony, including Elton John, Celine Dion, Moby and Andrea Bocelli.
The only solo entertainer who has agreed to perform so far is 16-year-old Jackie Evancho, the 2010 runner up on the TV show America’s Got Talent. Evancho is slated to sing the national anthem.
The Beach Boys have also been asked to perform for President-elect Trump, but the band has yet to make a final decision as of Wednesday.