Smokestack Catches Fire During Reds game, Some EvacuatedCINCINNATI, May 16 (UPI) — During Friday’s Reds vs. Giants game, something was cooking — and it wasn’t a Ball Park frank.
A giant smokestack used to shoot fire and fireworks in Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park began burning without permission Friday night, forcing two sections of fans to evacuate temporarily during the game.
Firetrucks were reportedly already en route before the 911 call was made for their assistance. Firefighters had been watching the game on television when they noticed the stadium filling with smoke.
The fire was out minutes after help arrived. The Reds continued playing the San Francisco Giants throughout the ordeal. The Giants won the game 10-2.
The cause of the blaze was a faulty propane valve in the right-most stack. They will both be out of service for the next few days for repairs, WKRC reports.
After the fire was extinguished, the stadium played Billy Joel‘s “We didn’t start the fire.