Jan. 29, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) — It is being reported that five people were killed when gunmen opened fire in a Quebec mosque during evening prayers on Sunday.
CNBC said a witness told Reuters that as many as three men fired on about 40 people inside the Québec City Islamic cultural center. Some reports stated that at least 100 people were in the mosque at the time of the shootings.
Police set up a security perimeter around the building.
Several sources reported that the mosque had been the target of an attack during Ramadan in June 2016, when a pig’s head was left on the mosque’s doorstep.
The Toronto Sun said Montreal police are increasing patrols around any sites that could be potential targets, and a vigil has already been planned in Montreal on Monday.
According to the Toronto Sun, police spokesperson Étienne Doyon said in a press briefing that two suspects have been arrested. It was also reported that other people were injured in addition to the five who were killed.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” the mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, is reported to have said.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted Sunday that “Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City. My thoughts are with victims & their families.”
Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec City. My thoughts are with victims & their families.
Canada’s public safety minister, Ralph Goodale, said on Twitter that he was “deeply saddened” by the loss of life and injuries. Goodale also tweeted that the government of Canada is “closely monitoring the situation.”
Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard tweeted in French that Quebec rejects “this barbaric violence,” and then, “Let us unite against violence. Solidarity with Quebecers of the Muslim faith.”