COLUMBUS, Ohio, May 16 (UPI) — Ohio Gov. John Kasich on Monday bluntly dismissed speculation that he might resurrect his presidential campaign, as an independent or another third-party representative, to oppose presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump.
During an interview Monday, Kasich said he isn’t considering a third-party run because he believes it is not in the best interests of the GOP.
“I just don’t think it would be the right thing to do,” he said. “A third party candidacy would be viewed as kind of a silly thing.”
“I’m not gonna do that.”
Kasich, who departed the Republican race earlier this month, told CNN’s Anderson Cooper that he’s not entirely comfortable seeking new life under a different political banner — a prospect he said he has already been contacted about from Republicans opposed to a Trump ticket.
“I gave it my best where I am,” he said. “I just think running a third party doesn’t feel right. I think it’s not constructive.”
Kasich dropped out of the GOP race one day after finishing last in the party’s Indiana primary, behind Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and way behind Trump. Kasich was the last to exit the Republican race, effectively handing the party’s nomination to the controversial real estate magnate.
“I have renewed faith, deeper faith, that the Lord will show me the way forward and fulfill the purpose of my life,” Kasich said while announcing his departure on May 4.
Trump has said he believes Kasich might make a good running mate, but the Ohio governor has already ruled out that possibility.