Update: Provo man burned over 30% of his body by gasoline-fueled trash fire

File photo: Gephardt Daily

PROVO, Utah, Nov. 16, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A Provo man was transported by ambulance to a hospital for treatment of burns sustained after he poured gasoline on a yard waste fire.

Captain Dean York, Provo Fire Department, confirmed to Gephardt Daily that firefighters were dispatched at 8:41 a.m. Saturday to a residence on a call of a possible gas main rupture.

A neighbor had reported seeing flames about four feet tall, York said. Crews responded to the area of 2000 N. 80 East.

“It was a 33-year-old male, trying to burn yard waste — tree limbs, leaves — which you’re not supposed to do in city limits,” York said. “He was using a gasoline can and it exploded, catching him on fire.

“When we got there, the fire was out, and he walked from the backyard to us with burns on his body and possibly his face.”

The victim was transported by ground ambulance to Utah Valley Hospital, York said.

An update on the Provo Fire & Rescue Facebook page said the man was later was moved to the University of Utah, which has a burn unit.

“He was transported to U of U Burn Center with 30% burns over his upper body, arms, & head,” the update says.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here