Blaze causes $150K in damages to Sandy garage, cars, residence

Three Sandy residents have been displace by a fire near 1200 East and 10600 South. Photos: Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLCScanner

SANDY, Utah, Feb. 3, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — Three Sandy residents have been displaced after a fire damaged their house and garage, and destroyed two cars on Saturday.

The fire started at about 10 a.m. at 1255 E. 10600 South in a residence inhabited by two females and a male.

“One of the females saw the smoke and yelled down to the basement, and got the other female out,” Battalion Chief Chris Dawson, Sandy Fire Department, told Gephardt Daily.

“The male did not hear, but some neighbors banged on the door and were able to wake him up.”

No firefighters or residents were hurt in the incident. The fire began in the garage, but also damaged the house. In all, the fire caused about $150,000 in damage, Dawson said.

“The house is not habitable right now, and probably won’t be for some time,” he added.

Dawson said early evidence suggests smoking materials may have ignited the fire, but the investigation is ongoing.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here