KEARNS, Utah, June 5, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A 40-year-old Kearns man is facing 14 felony charges after police say he engaged in sexual activities with a 16 year old, and threatened to “hunt down” the girl if she did not cooperate.
Patrick Mecham has been charged with:
- Aggravated sexual extortion, a first-degree felony
- Two counts of distributing or arranging to distribute a controlled substance, one second-degree felony and one third-degree felony
- Six counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor
- Five counts of endangering a child, third-degree felonies
- Five counts of enticing a minor, class A misdemeanors
A probable cause statement says the teen’s grandmother contacted police to say she believed her granddaughter, who lived with her, was having sex with the man.
The teen told police she first engaged in sex with Mecham when she was 15 or 16. She said they also smoked meth every time they had sex.
The teen “stated that she felt pressured in engaging in sexual intercourse with Mecham,” the statement says. “(She) stated at one point, Mecham texted her while she was at home and said if she didn’t, he would hunt her down.”
“(The victim) also reported that Mecham physically assaulted his wife because Mecham believed she was lying and was with different guys.”
The victim said she had sex with Mecham after that “because she felt he would hunt her down,” the statement says.
The teen also said Mecham had provided her with marijuana more than five times, and first gave her meth when she was 13.
Mecham’s initial court appearance is scheduled for Friday.