Lincoln Beach closes again due to potentially harmful algal bloom

Lincoln Marina. Photo Courtesy: Utah DEQ

UTAH COUNTY, Utah, Aug. 15, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — Lincoln Beach and Marina in Utah Lake have been closed again due to “very high” cyanobacteria cell counts, officials said Wednesday.

Lab results for samples collected on Aug. 6 and 8 showed the very high cell counts, the Utah Department of Environmental Quality said in a news release on Facebook.

“Microcystin levels were quite high at some shoreline locations and twice the recommended recreation health-based threshold in one open water sample,” the news release said. “Do not swim, boat or recreate in the water.”

Health officials placed all of Utah Lake on a ‘warning’ level last Wednesday due to a potentially harmful algal bloom, officials said.

The public and their pets are warned to stay out of the lake due to the discovery of a blue-green algal bloom, according to a news release last week.

The Utah DEQ’s Division of Water Quality collected samples at the lake and found the presence of algal species that have the potential to produce toxins, the news release said. Water sample results throughout the lake have cell concentrations significantly over the recommended warning threshold level.

Those recreating on Utah Lake should take caution and avoid areas of scum. Recreationists are advised to be mindful of conditions, as they may change over the course of the day.

“Although blue-green algae are a natural part of many freshwater ecosystems, under the right conditions they can grow rapidly,” the news release said. “High levels of nutrients in the water, combined with warm temperatures, abundant sunlight, and calm water, can promote growth, resulting in extensive blooms. These blooms consist of cyanobacteria, often referred to as blue-green algae, a type of bacteria that poses risks to humans, wildlife, domestic animals, and fish.”

Symptoms of exposure include headache, fever, diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, and sometimes allergic-like reactions from skin contact.

For concerns about possible human exposure, call the Utah Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222, or your physician.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here