Utah man charged in New Year’s Eve homicide of Virginia preschool teacher

Edward A. Shaw. Photo Courtesy: Norfolk Police

NORFOLK, Va., Jan. 3, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A 70-year-old Utah man has been arrested and charged with the murder of a Virginia elementary school teacher on New Year’s Eve, officials said.

Edward A. Shaw, from Sevier, is charged with one count of second-degree felony murder and one count of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, Norfolk City Police said in a news release.

The charges stem from the shooting of 50-year-old Caroline M. Hendrix, in Norfolk, which is in southeastern Virginia, the news release said.

The preliminary investigation found Shaw fatally shot Hendrix, a teacher at Norfolk’s Oceanair Elementary School, at approximately 8 p.m.

In the course of the incident, police say Shaw was shot by an acquaintance of Hendrix who was attempting to come to her aid.

“When first responders arrived, Hendrix was found sitting inside her vehicle suffering from multiple gunshot wounds,” the news release said. “She was transported to a local hospital; however, she died shortly after arrival.”

Hendrix’s acquaintance was still on scene when police arrived, and was not injured.

About an hour later, Chesapeake police found a man with multiple gunshot wounds in a parked vehicle, according to Virginia State Police spokeswoman Sergeant Michelle Anaya.

The man, later identified as Shaw, told police that he pulled over on the shoulder of Interstate 64 and was shot near the Deep Creek exit, mile marker 296, as a result of a road rage incident.

Shaw was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening, Anaya said.

State police then contacted Norfolk Police and both investigated the possible connection with the incidents.

As a result of the collaboration, Shaw was charged with Hendrix’s murder on Jan. 2 by Norfolk police homicide detectives.

“The State Police have found no evidence to support the allegation of a road rage shooting incident on the interstate,” the news release added.

Upon his release from the hospital, Shaw will be transported to Norfolk City Jail where he will be held without bond.

As this is an ongoing investigation, detectives have not released any other details surrounding the shooting.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here