SANDY, Utah, Feb. 8, 2018 (Gephardt Daily) — A Sandy teen has been arrested on suspicion of making false threats after claiming a shooting and bombing were going to occur at Jordan High School last month.
According to a news release from Sandy City Police Department spokesman Sgt. Jason Nielsen, the 17-year-old suspect was arrested for suspicion of making a false alarm, a class B misdemeanor.
“On January 26, 2018, information was circulating on social media about a shooting and bombing which was supposed to take place at Jordan High School in Sandy City,” the news release said.
“An investigation was launched into this incident. Sandy Police and Canyons School District personnel worked hand in hand during the investigation.”
The social media post was determined to be without merit.
“The false and baseless social media post consumed an excessive amount of resources and caused fear among students and parents; creating alarm for school officials,” the news release said. “Several law enforcement agencies in addition to Sandy Police had to use their resources to investigate whether or not the social media post involved any of their schools, and additional schools were placed on lock down.”
The news release adds that irresponsibly posting false and baseless information on social media which causes alarm to the public and school officials is dangerous and may be in violation of the law.
“With the valid concerns in today’s day and age, we encourage people to come forward with any information regarding school safety concerns,” the news release concluded. “However, information about threats must be reported to parents, school administrators or law enforcement.”
The suspect’s name has not been released because of his or her juvenile status.