Police: Layton Man Kidnaps and Tortures Woman for Nearly 20 Hours

Layton Man Kidnaps and Tortures Woman
Photo Courtesy: Davis County Jail

LAYTON, UTAH – August 11, 2015 (Gephardt Daily) – A Layton man is now in custody after police say he allegedly held his ex-girlfriend captive in her apartment and tortured her for over 20 hours on August 4, 2015.

According to Lt. Travis Lyman of Layton City Police, the woman came into their police department on the night of August 5, and said her ex-boyfriend, 21-year-old Benjamin Luke Burnside, had forced her into her own apartment, beat her and told her he was going to kill her.

“The woman was moving things from Layton Meadows Apartments to her car when Burnside approached her and told her he wanted drugs from her, she wasn’t going to leave him, and he was going to kill her,” said Lyman.

The woman stated during the time in the apartment, he assaulted over and over and even choked her to the point of losing consciousness from being choked and suffocated.

The woman said she attempted to call 911 several times but he took her phone and prevented her from calling for help throughout the incident.

She said she was able to escape on the evening of Wednesday, August 5, after convincing him to leave the apartment with her to get some food.

“He forced her to drive around Layton before finally stopping in a library parking lot. There she was able to get out of the car,” said Lyman. “He then also got out of the car and ran away. At that point she was able to come to the police department to report the incident.”

Lyman said officers searched for Burnside, and were able to locate him at his home in Layton on the evening of Saturday, August 8. At the time of his arrest, he had a variety of drugs in his possession.

Burnside is currently being held in the Davis County Jail on possession of controlled substance charges awaiting possible attempted kidnapping and aggravated burglary charges.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here