Utah grandfather shoots grandson in self-defense during knife attack, deputies say

Ambulance. File photo: Gephardt Daily/Monico Garza/SLCScanner

SEVIER COUNTY, Utah, July 11, 2021 (Gephardt Daily) — The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed a double-stabbing and a shooting involving three family members: a husband and wife, both 75, and their 28-year-old grandson, who had been living with them for several years.

The call from a home in the Central Valley came into dispatch at 11:36 p.m. Thursday, a statement from the department says.

“The caller was in obvious panic as she reported her husband was being stabbed by her grandson,” the SCSO statement says. “Right after the call, the caller was attacked by the same individual. As she was being attacked the first stabbing victim was able to get a handgun and shoot the attacking grandson multiple times.

“This gave the stabbing victims time to leave the residence, get in their vehicle, and drive to the neighbor’s house and then called back reporting the shooting and their location. When deputies arrived, they found them in their vehicle bleeding from multiple stab wounds.”

Neighbors were tending to the wounds of the couple, identified as Charles and Margo Evans, as EMS crews arrived at the scene, the statement says.

“Deputies went to the home and found the suspect, 28-year-old Wade Evans, in the home covered in blood. Wade still had a knife in his hand when he approached the deputies. Deputies ordered him to drop the knife and he did.”

Deputies were able to take Wade Evans into custody, and he was transported to an area hospital for treatment of his gunshot wounds.

“Charles and Margo received multiple stab and defensive wounds during the incident. They were both transported to hospitals on the Wasatch Front for medical care. The injuries were serious and needed advanced medical care. At this time, they appear to be in critical, but stable, condition.”

Wade Evans is still receiving medical care for his injuries, and is in serious but stable condition, the statement says. As of Sunday afternoon, no charging documents had been filed against the youngest Evans, which is often the case when a suspect remains hospitalized.

The investigation is ongoing. Gephardt Daily will have more information as it becomes available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here