TAYLORSVILLE, Utah, March 11, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — Taylorsville High School was evacuated briefly Thursday morning after a possible natural gas leak in the swimming pool area.
Unified Fire Authority spokesman Jason Kamp said a call came in at about 11:30 a.m. reporting a possible leak at the school.
“When we arrived, we did smell natural gas, shut the gas off, and evacuated the school,” said Kamp. “Questar Gas responded immediately, and has not found anything at this time.”
Fire and gas officials cleared the school and students were let back inside.
A Facebook post by the Granite School District posted at noon read:
“Taylorsville High School was successfully evacuated as a precaution due to a suspected gas leak in the swimming pool area. All students and staff have been accounted for. District and fire officials are on scene assessing the validity of the leak. If the building is able to be cleared, school will proceed as normal. If additional time is needed for repairs, we will notify you at that time.
“As the school has been evacuated, staff will not able to answer phones. If you have additional questions, you may call the Communications Department at 385-646-4529. Please do not come to the campus as it is restricted by law enforcement to ensure student safety.”