Feb. 21 (UPI) — Mothers who went through the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School five years ago have offered their condolences to families of last week’s Florida shooting, in letters of support.
This week, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense organized the letter-writing campaign, to parents, students and other mourners in Parkland, Fla., impacted by the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
“Unfortunately, now we are in a very similar boat I wish no one to ever be in,” Newtown, Conn., mother Stephanie Burdo told WTNH-TV.
The South Florida community is reeling from the shooting attack that killed 17 people, most of the teenagers. On Dec. 14, 2012, nearly two dozen young children and six adults died at Sandy Hook in the one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.
“I happened to be at the building as the shooting started,” Barb Sibley, who’s young son was wounded at Sandy Hook, said. “My son survived, but I haven’t been the same since. My husband was a first responder that day. I know how impacted our family was.”
Some Sandy Hook students also wrote words of support, telling the Florida community “everything is going to get better.”
“It’s not going to get worse because people are making a difference,” Newtown resident Olivia Doscher said.
Following last week’s shooting, Moms Demand Action initiated a campaign to spur gun control action in Congress, called “Throw Them Out.”
“We’ve had enough. Thoughts and prayers are not enough to honor the victims of gun violence,” the group said. “What we need now is ACTION. Lawmakers have had enough time to come around to common sense, and we’re done waiting. We must now elect leaders who will finally act to save lives from gun violence. It’s time to throw them out.”