Armed Man Allegedly High On Drugs Surrenders To SSL SWAT Team After Firing Shot

Dayley, Michael J
Photo Courtesy: Salt Lake County

SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah, April 8, 2016 (Gephardt Daily) — South Salt Lake Police and SWAT teams negotiated the surrender of an armed man barricaded inside his home Friday afternoon.

Gary Keller, South Salt Lake Police Department spokesman, said the man’s father called 911 at about 1:18 p.m. The father was not at the home, at 2950 S. 300 East, but was concerned about his son.

The father said his son, 31-year-old Michael Dayley of South Salt Lake, was conscious but unresponsive.

“The father had told us there was a heroin overdose inside the house,” Keller said. “From what I am understanding now, he was talking to his son on the phone, and couldn’t raise him. The father is actually the one that reported he heard a shot fired from inside the house. At that point, we called out SWAT, due to the sound of the gunfire inside the house.”

Negotiators were able to contact Dayley by phone.

“On this situation it’s a full SWAT call-out,” Keller said. “A few minutes ago we heard some loud bangs; those were flash bang devices.”

“SWAT entered the house tactically, no shots were fired, Dayley was safely taken into custody. He was not injured. The ambulance we saw go up the street, that’s to check him for the overdose situation.

“Everybody is safe at this point, but 300 East will continue to be blocked off for another hour while we go through the house, clear things up,” Keller said. “We are encouraging people to avoid 300 East in that location if they can.”

Keller said roads are blocked from 2890 S. Cordelia Ave. to Gregson Avenue, which is 3020 S. 300 East.

“This is a situation that fortunately ended well—nobody was injured, nobody was harmed, and our suspect was safely taken into custody,” Keller said.

“We do have some history here. We were here a couple of weeks ago on an assault; a fight was going on in here and we were able to get those people out, let the situation diffuse itself.”

Keller said when Dayley was talking to negotiators he said he and a female were in the house doing drugs, and mentioned a body in the house. That was not the case when SWAT teams entered, Keller said.

Gephardt Daily will have more on this developing story as information becomes available.

Police on the scene of a SWAT standoff at 2950 S. 300 East in South Salt Lake, April 8, 2016. Photo: Gephardt Daily
Police on the scene of a SWAT standoff at 2950 S. 300 East in South Salt Lake, April 8, 2016. Photo: Gephardt Daily


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here