Nevada man arrested after leading Cedar City police on 105 mph chase

Darren Elden Green. Photo Courtesy: Iron County Sheriff

CEDAR CITY, Utah, March 10, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A man was arrested after police said he led them on a chase from Cedar City to Parowan with speeds exceeding 100 miles per hour, then ran from them on foot.

A probable cause statement from the 5th District Court of Iron County said Darren Elden Green, 30, from Nevada, is facing charges of third-degree felony failure to respond to officer’s signal to stop, third-degree felony failure to register as a sex offender, class A misdemeanor failure to stop at the command of law enforcement, class B misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, class C misdemeanor operating a vehicle without insurance, class C misdemeanor operating a vehicle without license or registration, class C misdemeanor driving on a suspended or revoked license and infraction right of way stop signs.

Saturday at approximately 1 a.m., the arresting officer observed a Dodge pickup fail to stop at the stop sign located at 100 W. 200 North in Cedar City.

“I initiated a traffic stop on the vehicle,” the probable cause statement said. “I made contact with the driver and sole occupant of the vehicle whom I identified by Nevada driver’s license as Darren Green. I advised Green the reason for the stop. Green stated he did, in fact, stop at the stop sign.”

The arresting officer asked Green for his license, and Green grabbed for his wallet and opened it, flipped passed his driver’s license, closed it and opened it again retrieving his driver’s license.

“I asked Green where he was coming from,” the statement said. “Green didn’t respond. I asked Green again where he was coming from. He again didn’t respond. I detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Green’s breath and person.”

The arresting officers asked Green to get out of the vehicle, and at that time the officer started to walk toward his own vehicle.

“Green took off in his vehicle leading officers on a pursuit reaching speeds of approximately 105 mph and coming to an end in Parowan near the Parowan dump,” the statement said.

After Green’s vehicle became disabled he ran on foot from officers eventually attempting to conceal himself in the rear of a residence in the Parowan area. Another deputy and a Parowan officer were able to locate the man and take him into custody.

Green was then transported to Cedar City Hospital for a medical clearance for incarceration. A vehicle records check indicated the registration for Green’s vehicle was suspended. After being read his Miranda rights, Green said he didn’t have insurance on his vehicle. Green also stated post-Miranda he believed he had a warrant for his arrest as he is a sex offender and failed to comply with the sex offender registry.

Green stated he had lived in Cedar City in his truck since September of last year, the statement said. A driver’s license check indicated Green also has a suspended driver’s license. Green admitted he was drinking Coors Light prior to the pursuit, a blood draw warrant was obtained and blood was drawn from Green’s body which will be sent for testing to determine his blood alcohol content.

Green is being held in Iron County Jail with his bail set at $25,000.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here