Update: Pregnant woman injured in Eagle Mountain crash gives birth to 2 pound baby

Photo Courtesy: GoFundMe

EAGLE MOUNTAIN, Utah, June 17, 2019 (Gephardt Daily) — A woman who was 27 weeks pregnant and blacked out before she crashed her car into a rock wall near her home in Eagle Mountain Thursday has given birth to a two pound baby, her family said.

Deputies in Eagle Mountain responded to a report of a crash near Inverness Road and Mount Airey Drive at approximately 10:15 a.m. Thursday, according to a news release from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office.

“They arrived and found that a small SUV had missed a curve and driven across the lawn of a home and crashed into a rock wall,” the news release said. “The driver was a 24-year-old woman who is 27 weeks pregnant. A witness said they saw the woman standing outside her car before she got back in, buckled her seat belt, and drove away. Moments later the crash occurred.”

The woman had reportedly called her husband saying she didn’t feel well and was going to return home, the news release said.

“The woman may have experienced a medical emergency, as there was no apparent effort to turn or slow down before the impact,” the news release said.

Airbags in the SUV deployed and the woman sustained serious injuries to her head and pelvis. She was taken by Unified Fire Authority ambulance to Mount Point Medical Center in Lehi. From there she was taken by AirMed medical helicopter to University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City.

A GoFundMe page created by family members then continued the story, saying the woman’s husband was waiting for her at the U of U Hospital. The couple was told that she needed an emergency C-section immediately.

“Their first child was born at 1:18 p.m. and his name is Beckham Harvey Hughes weighing 2 pounds 12 ounces,” the post said. “Unfortunately no one was able to hear how Beckham was doing or even see him until the doctors and nurses were able to get him past the critical condition he was in, around 5:45 p.m. they allowed Dad to go meet his son. Mom was then stable enough later that night to go say hello to her precious baby boy.”

The post said that the mom blacked out when she was in the car, and doctors are now working to figure out why that happened.

“Beckham still needs all our prayers and good thoughts sent his way,” the post added. “He was banged up from the accident and had bruises all over him. His oxygen wasn’t getting to him properly because the placenta tearing from the uterine wall which is why they had to get him out ASAP.”

The post said the page is the only official GoFundMe site for the Hughes family.

“They have a LONG road ahead of them and all they have asked for is prayers, prayers and more prayers,” the post said. “But unfortunately hospitals don’t take payments of faith and love and that is where I know our community can come together and help out the Hughes family!”

Gephardt Daily will have more on this developing story as information is made available.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here